Nina Urban, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Research on drug abuse specializing in controlled laboratory studies in humans and translational research with Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and brain stimulation modalities, such as repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS).
My current research focuses on: 1. Neurochemical alterations in cannabis, alcohol cocaine and ‘club drug’ users; 2. Using deep transcranial magnetic stimulation as a treatment for substance abuse 3. Translational pilot studies in novel interventions for alcohol use disorders, e.g. as deep brain stimulation.
- Thompson JL, Urban N, Slifstein M, Xu X, Kegeles LS, Girgis RR, Beckerman Y, Harkavy-Friedman JM, Gil R, Abi-Dargham A.: Striatal dopamine release in schizophrenia comorbid with substance dependence.. Mol Psychiatry. 2013;Aug;18(8):: 909-15.
- Urban NB, Girgis RR, Talbot PS, Kegeles LS, Xu X, Frankle WG, Hart CL, Slifstein M, Abi-Dargham A, Laruelle M.: Sustained recreational use of ecstasy is associated with altered pre and postsynaptic markers of serotonin transmission in neocortical areas: a PET study with [¹¹C]DASB and [¹¹C]MDL 100907.. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012;May;37(6):: 1465-73.
- Urban NB, Slifstein M, Meda S, Xu X, Ayoub R, Medina O, Pearlson GD, Krystal JH, Abi-Dargham A.: Imaging human reward processing with positron emission tomography and functional magnetic resonance imaging.. 2012;May;221(1):: 67-77.
- Urban NB, Slifstein M, Thompson JL, Xu X, Girgis RR, Raheja S, Haney M, Abi-Dargham A.: Dopamine release in chronic cannabis users: a [11c]raclopride positron emission tomography study.. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 ;Apr 15;71(8):: 677-83.
- Urban NB, Kegeles LS, Slifstein M, Xu X, Martinez D, Sakr E, Castillo F, Moadel T, O'Malley SS, Krystal JH, Abi-Dargham A.: Sex differences in striatal dopamine release in young adults after oral alcohol challenge: a positron emission tomography imaging study with [¹¹C]raclopride.. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;Oct 15;68(8):: 689-96